Wednesday 5 October 2011

Reflection #2

Today’s class began with my team (Adele and me) finishing up our task analysis on the reading process. Using the Kidspiration program to complete the assignment was a great way to get a feel for the program. It was also a wonderful way to illustrate just how involved the reading process is. After our assignments were ready, all of us presented what we came up with. I really enjoyed how everyone tackled the assignment. It was very obvious by observing all the presentations just at how complex the reading process is and how it’s all interconnected. There is a lot going on when you crack open a book! (Lots of arrows working back and forth!)
We then looked at websites that support reluctant and struggling readers. This was great because I have several students that fit both descriptions. My students are very familiar and really enjoy StarFall. It was nice to have the opportunity to find more resources to broaden my repertoire. I rarely have the time during the day to look at sites. So, just given time was a real gift.
One of the sites I really liked was called Into the Book. This site is very inviting and has a magical feel to it. I like that it focuses on the comprehension piece. It looks at areas such as making connections and questioning. Its very user friendly, even for someone old school like me. There’s a nice mix between neat visuals and unique audio clips. I have some very capable readers in my Grade Two class. This site would be great for them. They see themselves as readers and are confident with print. But, I think this resource could be a little challenging for my hesitant readers. The passages are a bit long and the language is a bit sophisticated for them. They might be a bit intimidated and shut down. The one thing I would like to see with this site is perhaps more Canadian content. It’s not a criticism; it would be just a suggestion to make it even better.
Another website I liked was Earobics- Game Goo. This resource would be great for many of my Grade Twos. The graphics are fun and silly and would grab the attention of any 6-8 year old. Many of my students have difficulties with simple directions that include more than one step. I love the little game called Tina’s World Buggy Tails where they have to remember 3 steps in order (very challenging for some). Tina’s World Sassy Seals is little game focusing on initial sounds. All games have charming characters with wonderful voices/sounds. My students would love Game Goo. I found myself giggling to myself. Oh and earphones are a must!